Thursday, April 8, 2010

Is lying sometimes the right thing for an honest person to do?

I read this book as a bachelor's student at Sri Sathya Sai University, Brindavan Campus (1998-2001). During those days, I was interested in management and would be reading books in the management section. This book gives case studies where lying is infact the best thing a person has done at the moment. It caters to the role of ethics in business which is becoming rare traits among business people in modern days.
I do not remember many case studies that I have read in this book as I drifted to biotechnology research and also it's been ten years since I read the book. In fact, many of my commerce friends came to know about the book after I started reading it. It is a detailed book explaining the ethics that are part of Indian culture. In the west too, I see that people never complain about the food being offered when they become guests at their friend's place. They always tell that it is wonderful! They never complain about the hospitality extended to them. That could be a best example of daily life of how we follow the title of the book. Sometimes, people do not tell about bad news for fear that it may hurt or mentally depress the person when he hears it. That too is a good example.

No comments: